As the social economy grows, the cost of labor gets more expensive. At the same time, self-service terminals are used in many places because advanced technologies like automatic identification have improved over time. For example, it exists in tourism, retail, restaurants, and entertainment.
Self-service terminals can offer more personalized services, which makes the way information is processed more flexible, saves time, and is more convenient. The barcode scanner module is the most essential part of all self-service scanning code applications for self-service terminals. In most industries, the scanner module is vital to automatically read, collect, and develop information.
What is Scanner Module?
A scanner module is a self-contained unit that contains all of the necessary components to scan barcodes and communicate with a kiosk. Scanning modules typically include a scanner, decoder, and interface board. Some scanning modules also include an LED illuminator to help illuminate barcodes.
It is widely used in the field of automatic identification of core identification components. It is one of the most important parts of the bar code scanner's secondary development. It can scan and decode bar codes on its own and be written into a wide range of industry applications. It is small, has a high level of integration, and is easy to put into a self-service vending machine, display kiosk, access gate machine, logistics cabinet, medical automation equipment, handheld equipment, cashier payment box, etc.
Classification of Scanner Module
Based on how it works, it is split into three parts:
- 1D code scanner module (also called a laser scanner module),
- 2D code scanner module,
- CCD scanner module.
Here are the differences:
- The 1D code scanning module can only read 1D bar codes that are printed on paper.
- The 2D code scanning module can scan a 1D barcode, a 2D QR code, a mobile phone screen bar code, and a mobile phone screen 2D QR code.
- The CCD scanning module can scan 1D barcodes, paper barcodes, and mobile phone bar codes.
You can also tell the difference between embedded scanner modules, fixed scanner modules, and naked scanner modules by how they look. The one with the case is the fixed scanning module, and the one without is the bare module.
Different self-service kiosks have different rules about how the scanning module should look. No matter if your scanner module is embedded or fixed, the most important thing is that it works with your machine and saves as many installation steps as possible. It is best to complete with only 2 screws installed.
The Application of Barcode Scanner Module
The barcode scan module can be used in many different fields, including mobile payments, logistics warehouses, retail stores, ticket inspection, the medical industry, manufacturing, and more. The following is a list of equipment.
- Self-checkout kiosks: Customers will find the all-in-one checkout counter very convenient because they won't need a cashier to scan, pack, and pay for their items.
- Restaurant self-service kiosk: Customers can choose from a list of products on the touch screen and then follow the instructions to pay. Customers only need to open the Google Pay or Apple Pay app to get a QR code that they can use to pay. The whole thing happens very quickly, taking only a few seconds.
- Indoor and outdoor ticketing and check-in kiosk: At sports and event venues, kiosks can scan customers' mobile phone receipts, print tickets, and even scan their ID cards to prove who they are. Kiosks let people know how to get to events by scanning bar codes on tickets at different entrances. This helps with traffic and crowd control.
- Parcel locker kiosk:The locker terminal has a 2D bar-code scanner built in, so the courier can quickly scan the bar code on the package to open the locker, put the package in the locker, and then send the customer an email telling them to pick up the package themselves. The customer can pick up the product when they are off duty or free by scanning the bar code or entering the code.
- Hospital self-service terminal kiosk:read 1D and 2D QR codes for payment or print the result sheet or report sheet (scan the patient number bar code, and the self-service machine will print it automatically).
They can also be useful in lottery machines, game machines, staffless grocery store, government self-service terminals, library lending kiosks, bus scanning machines, parking kiosks, access gates, POS machines, ticket machines, self-service cash withdrawal terminals, and more!